To follow up on my previous post on the nominees for the EDI awards, which recognize outstanding contributions and achievements in the world of skating by skaters, coaches, judges and volunteers, the winners were announced at this year's annual PSA conference. They are:
2008 U.S. Figure Skating/PSA Coach of the Year Award (This award is presented to a coach who has made a significant impact on an athlete's performance culminating in a special career achievement during the past year.)
- Dalilah Sappenfield (pairs coach)
2008 U.S. Figure Skating/PSA Developmental Coach of the Year Award (This award recognizes a coach of new talent and superior teaching technique.)
- Yaroslava Netchaeva and Iouri Tchesnitchenko (ice dancing coaches)
2008 Paul McGrath Choreographer of the Year Award (This award recognizes the truly artistic talent of a gifted coach.)
- Lori Nichol (her 4th win)
2008 Pieter Kollen U.S. Figure Skating/PSA Sport Science Coaching Award (This award is presented to a coach who utilizes scientific techniques as an integral part of his/her coaching.)
- Christy Krall (uses a program called DartTrainer to analyze jumps and spins)
In addition, the following individuals were also honored with the EDI:
F. Ritter Shumway Award - Presented to a person of dedication and contribution in the skating world. Shumway was a past president of U.S. Figure Skating. Past recipients include Dick Button and Tom Collins.
- Scott Hamilton
Distinguished Judge Award - Presented to a judge of dedication, reliability and integrity.
- Ann Gerli
Photo of the Year - Photo judged in quality, drama, balance and ability to "capture the moment."
- Oliver Brajon's photo of Russian ice dancers Jana Khokhlova and Sergei Novitski in their free dance costumes skating to A Night on the Bald Mountain
Betty Berens Award - Presented to a coach who has overcome adversity while continuing to serve their profession.
Fritz Dietl National Award for Ice Arena Excellence - Award honors the lifetime dedication of Fritz Dietl to the ice skating industry and is awarded to an ice arena.
Synchronized Coach of the Year - Selection based on quality of organization, team work, performance, originality, unison and spirit.
- Saga Krantz of The Haydenettes
Joe Serafine National Volunteer of the Year Award - Recognized for outstanding service to the PSA.
- David Kirby
Four coaches were also inducted into the PSA Coaches Hall of Fame:
- Pieter Kollen - Known as the "father of sports science," Kollen was the 1961 U.S. Pairs champion, inventor of the "K-Pick" blade and parabolic blade, and coached for many years at the Indiana/World Skating Academy. He was also the power skating coach for the U.S. Hockey Team that won the 1980 Olympics. He passed away in August 2007.
- Kathy Casey - Has coached Scott Hamilton, Nicole Bobek, Scott Davis, Roslyn Sumners, as well as many other national and world competitors. (see below from left to right: Janet Champion, Kathy Casey and Sandy Lamb at awards dinner)
- Walter and Irene Muehlbronner - Walter is past president of the PSA who passed away in November 2005. With wife Irene, they toured for many years with Ice Follies as the ice dancing team of "Walter and Irene."
Finally, two professional skaters were honored during the ceremony for their positive contributions to the sport: Kurt Browning was given the Gustave Lussi Award, and Kristi Yamaguchi received the Sonja Henie Award.