For all you figure skaters who are also hockey fans, the Detroit Red Wings won the Stanley Cup a few hours ago! They defeated the Pittsburgh Penguins 3-2 in Game 6 of the 2008 Stanley Cup Final. The Red Wings were led by Swedish captain Nicklas Lidstrom, who also is the first European player to captain a Stanley Cup winner. This is the 4th Stanley Cup in 11 seasons for the Red Wings -- they previously won in 1997, 1998 and 2002. The victory parade is scheduled for Friday in "Hockeytown."
And I really have to share my one hockey joke I know, courtesy of the late great Rodney Dangerfield. He said, "Hey, I went to a fight last night and a hockey game broke out!"
The Red Wings won the series 4-2:
- Game 1: Red Wings 4, Penguins 0
- Game 2: Red Wings 3, Penguins 0
- Game 3: Penguins 3, Red Wings 2
- Game 4: Red Wings 2, Penguins 1
- Game 5: Penguins 4, Red Wings 3 (3OT)
- Game 6: Red Wings 3, Penguins 2