"What's Lucinda Ruh up to? How is she?" There are a handful of skaters that I get asked about a lot and Lucinda "Queen of Spin" Ruh is right up there. Twice named "the most influential person in the world of figure skating" by International Figure Skating Magazine, the two-time Swiss national champion and two-time World Professional bronze medalist stopped performing for television audiences in the early 2000s due to chronic back injuries. Thank goodness for YouTube which has enough footage of Lucinda's greatness on the ice (click here for my personal favorite program).
So what is Lucinda up to? In March I caught up with her at Central Park in New York City where she was an honoree at an AIDS benefit called One Step Closer. In a nutshell:
- Lucinda's getting married! The date is October 16 in New York City. The lucky fella is Antonio DeRosa and he is not involved with the skating community at all (see photo at right, newly brunette Lucinda and fiance Antonio) which she felt was a good thing -- one skater is enough in a husband and wife team.
- She's featured in Nigel Barker's photography book Beauty Equation. Nigel is a judge on Tyra Bank's America's Next Top Model.
- She's working on her autobiography coming out soon.
- She wants to be more involved with skating productions, possibly with her own show.
- She loves being a mentor to up-and-coming skaters.
- She also continues to coach internationally while pursuing acting, modeling and designing.
So there you go all you Lucinda fans. I have a feeling the next chapter in her multifaceted life is just beginning. Watch our interview above to hear more from Lucinda, including her thoughts on the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics and how she feels about the new judging system.